Monday, January 14, 2013

It's Official!

Whelp, this is happening for real. My parents and I sat down a few nights ago and purchased a plane ticket--I really get to do this! WOOOHOOOO! (That has become my mantra).

For those concerned parties, I am leaving on January 24 (which is Trent's birthday, sadly) from Huntsville. I should show up again in Pristina, Kosovo roughly 24 hours later (ish). I will be back in the States on June 2. Each trip takes roughly 24 hours, and I am reveling in the thought of going through Customs in my sleep-deprived state.

As for the communication situation: I can receive as many text messages as you want to send me, but I can only send out 50 per month. You can email me all you want, too, but I may or may not have frequent access to the internet and so I may or may not be able to email you back. I can Skype too, I just need a heads up.

There are lots of fun things on my to-do list that must be crossed off before I get there, and the most important one is learning how to build a fire. How have I made it to the ripe old age of 22 and not learned how to build a fire, you ask? That's a good question, and the answer is that in this modern world of central heating I haven't had the need to learn. Kosovo does not have central heating because they do not have power all the time, and if I want to stay warm at night (or during the day) I need to learn how to not only build a fire, I need to learn how to take care of a wood burning stove (something else I've never needed to learn how to do because Dad has always done it for me!).

I would greatly appreciate any prayers you feel like sending; I am terrified of international travel, even more so considering that the last time I flew alone was a disaster (I missed my flight by three minutes! Then the Delta guy laughed at me! Also, I booked a ticket for the wrong month!). I already know that my tickets are for the right month, but I have to pass through two countries where I don't speak the language and don't know how to say, "Excuse me, but I have missed my flight / need to use the restroom / am lost / would like something to eat / am offended by your body odor." So far my only hope at communication seems to be pantomime.

And as always I seek your prayers for the ministry I am going to be a part of. There are so many unknowns and variables that I don't even know what to ask for specifically, but Romans 8:26 says that "When we do not know what we ought to pray, the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans and sighs that words cannot express." Mostly I just ask for HELP--help getting through four airports, two in another country; help getting everything done that needs to be done; help reaching out to people who have never met Jesus; help to be His hands and feet! I pray for help in understanding the culture I am about to be a part of; I pray for help in learning now not to stick out like a total foreigner; I pray for the answers when someone asks me a hard question; I pray that it is not me but Christ in me who speaks when I open my mouth!

I am so blessed to have y'all behind me in prayer; what a wonderful support team I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment